List Of Interesting Music Research Essay Topics To Write About
Research papers can be written in any classroom, even in the arts. Papers about musical topics are more enjoyable for students to write than the papers about scientific or literary topics. The reason that music papers are more fun for students to write is because there are so many interesting topics. Music research papers can be written about vocal music or instrumental music or theory topics. Here are some ideas:
- How has music changed over the decades?
- Who are the most influential musicians in an era?
- What makes music ¨classical¨?
- How does music affect dance?
- How does a musician break into the industry and become a professional?
- What are the most lucrative careers for musicians?
- How does music affect physical health?
- How does music affect mental health?
- How is music marketed to different age groups?
- How has music categorization affected sales?
- What is the future of the ¨album¨?
- How does music affect fashion?
- How does music affect advertising?
- What has impacted music more: classical music or rock and roll?
- Why are there so many tribute bands?
- How does music affect development in children?
- How does music affect learning and memorization?
- Explain the quote: ¨Music soothes the savage beast.¨
- How is music used during war time?
- Explain the differences between music and poetry.
- Trace the evolution of rap and how it affects culture.
- What has happened to jazz?
- Should the term ¨Indie¨ no longer be used in music?
Music topics can be general, large topics like genres, artists, or movements. These general topics are better suited for lower-level music courses instead of junior or senior level courses. When you get into graduate classes or more specific courses, it is better to focus on narrowed topics. When you choose a topic for a music research paper, you should always be sure the topic is arguable and does not have an obvious answer. If you want to make the topic more interesting for your and your reader, you can always argue the side that no one would imagine to be arguable.
The topic that you pick should be appropriate for the class, but you can manipulate the topic to fit your interest. So, if you are taking a course in music from the Renaissance, but you are really interested in modern rock music, you could compare the types of chords and messages in the two musical genres.
A list of best music history research paper topic ideas
Music is–and always has been–found in every culture since the early beginnings of humanity. Even the most isolated groups and tribes use music to get together, dance and express themselves artistically; every soul on earth has a relationship to music.
If you plan to write a research paper about the history of music, you’re facing a topic with a sheer infinite scope. We recommend focusing on a specific era, country or type of music to research and write about.
The following list provides you with fifteen ideas to pick a topic from.
- A history of musical style in Europe after World War 2
- The origins of Black Music and it’s influence on American pop culture
- Tribal music and transcendental states: how ancient tribes used music to cure mental diseases
- Jazz: it’s evolution from the basement to the concert hall
- How the Roman Catholic Church affected musical development in medieval Europe
- Psychedelic Rock and the Summer of Love: the birth of a new genre
- The rhythm and pace of sub-Saharan African music
- The musical instruments of early Indian music
- The fall of the Berlin Wall and it’s contribution to techno music in Germany
- The melodies and texture of the Classical music era in Europe
- Radio and music: how the introduction of the radio has changed the listener’s taste
- A comparative study of 19th century Chinese and Japanese music
- Persia: the music of 1001 nights
- Early Music: a journey from the Roman Empire to the beginnings of Baroque
- An analysis of the plucked string instruments used in early Greek music
Still nothing that interests you? Here are a few additional ideas to consider.
Take a look at historic events and try linking them to the musical style of the era. Did you know that Western music was strongly influenced by ancient Greek writings?
Or maybe consider the religious angle. Christian music, mostly the chanting of hymns and psalms, has its beginnings in old Hebrew traditions. In the Middle Ages, music was almost limited to the churches and cathedrals and very few people outside of the church were able to read music.
Last, you could analyze an instrument and its use amongst different cultures and for different types of music. The guitar is amongst the most widely used instruments in the world and even poor farmers in Havana learned to build their own versions of the guitar out of cigar boxes and nylon strings.