20 Acute Essay Prompts On Gender Roles For University Students
Gender and topics related to it have always created a debate that never ends. Most people think of feminism and women whenever gender is mentioned. However, there is more to gender than focusing on inequalities between men and women.
University students, who may deal with gender related issues, may find themselves short of essay topics. Here are some prompts that may help them
- Masculinity and feminine norms: The society has dictated masculine and feminine roles and expectations. Anyone who strays from those norms is frowned upon.
- Gender identity: There are so many topics in gender identity that students can focus on - gender roles, co-modification and advertisements. When it comes to advertising, men and women are assigned different roles. Women will be given roles that match the traits ascribed to them. The same case applies to men.
- Sexual orientation: With the recent rising cases of lesbianism, gay-ism, same sex marriage and sexual reassignment, such concepts offer viable essay topics.
- Gender expression and the social norms: Gender states that you are either man or woman. Anything outside the social norm is considered outcast.
- Gender role development: This is an important area when it comes to human development.
- The male and female gender constructs Cultural beliefs dictate that there are two biological sexes-male and female. There are a lot of stereotypes and ascribed associated with each gender.
- The relationship between sex and gender roles: There is a correlation between the sex and gender roles of men and women as per the societal and cultural expectations.
- Gender mainstreaming: This basically deals with ensuring that gender needs of men and women are met in a manner that is far and just.
- Changing gender roles: In the past, there were specific roles for men and women. However, the trends are changing.
- Gender socialization process: The socialization process begins at birth and total compliance is expected from both genders.
- Race, gender and ethnic groups: There are different expectations for different genders.
- Family, marriage and gender roles: How families and marriage relate to gender roles
- Gender roles and literature: How literature depicts women and men
- Gender roles and sports: The different games and roles played by men and women
- Infanticide: It is a gender issue that affects women
- Political affiliations: The roles and positions of women and men in the political arena
- Gender inequalities: Gender inequalities exist in all spheres of life.
- Gender stereotypes: Gender stereotype is basically the overgeneralization of characteristics of a group based on their gender.
- Professional inequalities: Women face inequality in their professional lives.
- Gender roles and films: How do movie producers depict women and men and their respective roles?
Posted by November 23rd, 2016
Although most developed countries put considerable effort into battling gender inequality, and humanity managed to achieve remarkable progress in this area over the last century or so, it still remains one of the most problematic issues modern society has to deal with. Unfortunately, most of the aforementioned progress has been only conspicuous in western societies, while in many developing countries there were no noticeable advances for a long time, sometimes for centuries.
Even today, in the 21st century, barbarous practices like forced marriages and female genital mutilation are still rampant in Africa and Middle East, so it is safe to assume that we have a very long way to go towards worldwide gender equality. Therefore, it is no wonder that students are so often assigned to write opinion essays that deal with this topic.
Gender equality and inequality is an incredibly broadly defined area of research. If you put a little bit of thought into it you can come up with any number of fascinating, creative and original topics for your opinion essay. Here you can see a few examples:
- Does Gender Inequality Still Exist in the American Workplace?
- Gender Equality in Western Society: Achievements and Prospects
- Does Gender Help or Hinder Women in the Workplace?
- Main Obstacles for Achieving Workplace Gender Equality in Modern Society
- Roots of Gender Inequality and Their Expression in Today’s Society
- The United States and Gender Equality: Where Do We Stand?
- Gender Equality in Science
- State Enforcement of Gender Equality Laws: Is It Really Effective?
- Gender Equality and Gender-Blindness: Differences and Common Features
- Gender Equality: Are Women Still Being Held Back by Stereotypes?
- Gender Disparity in Education and Workplace: Results and Future Goals
- The Role of Gender Equality in Upbringing of Children
- Is True Gender Equality Achievable?
- Gender Equality and Peace: Are They Connected?
- Gender Equality and its Role in Economic Development
- Gender Equality and Family Division of Labor
- Gender Equality in Politics: What Does It Mean?
- What Does Gender Inequality Cost Us Economically?
- Gender Disparity in the World of Science: Why It Exists
- Gender Inequality in the Modern Family
Nice topics, aren’t they? And the best part of it is that you don’t have to do any prolonged and tiresome research to come up with a similar idea on your own. Gender equality or inequality is a kind of topic that, to some extent, encompasses the entirety of human experience. You may take a look at virtually any part of your life and be sure to find some food for thought that, after proper consideration, can be turned into a top-notch topic pertaining to this broad issue.
Your essay may take an economic, sociological, psychological, ethnographical, historical or, in fact, any other turn – you just have to use a little bit of imagination and creativity in defining your approach. After all, with this area of study being that popular, you are sure to find data for your research no matter what you choose.
4.80 avg. rating (93% score) - 5 votes
Tags: college essay topics, essay topics, essay writing topics